When looking for the best camping tent, you don’t need to spend a fortune. There are so many on the market that finding the ideal brand and model can be overwhelming. We’ve found that the best tent is the one that most closely meets your needs and preferences. There are many things to take into consideration before making your purchase. To help you find the right tent the first time, we’ve prepared a guide that tells you everything you need to know about choosing a tent. We’ve also included a review of ten of the best camping tents under $200 options.
Table of Contents
- Considerations Before Buying
- List of The Best Camping Tents Under $200
- Review of The Best Camping Tents Under $200
- 1. Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person 3 Season Tent
- 2. Kelty Salida 2 Tent
- 3. CHILLBO CABBINS Best 2 Person Tent
- 4. TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent
- 5. ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 3-Person Tent
- 6. Coleman Sundome 4 person tent
- 7. Coleman Instant Tent 4 Person
- 8. SEMOO Water Resistant 5-Person Tent
- 9. Coleman Evanston Screened Tent
- 10. Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
- Final Verdict
Considerations Before Buying
Before making your final decision, it’s important to determine your shelter needs and preferences. Here are the things that will help you find the best option.
- Tent Size: It’s important to choose a tent that is large enough to accommodate everyone who will be joining you on your camping trip. You’ll need enough room for everyone to sleep comfortably. There should also be room to store your gear and necessities to protect them from the elements. Going by the “person” rating isn’t always the most accurate way to estimate space. An 8-person tent is usually large enough to sleep 4 to 6 campers comfortably, along with their gear. A two-person tent is really only large enough for one person. If you are concerned about comfort, choose a tent that has plenty of room.
- Quality materials: The material of the tent makes a difference in its weight as well as its durability. Canvas tents are heavier and more difficult to transport, but the material is sturdy and durable. There are some high quality nylon fabrics with dense thread count that hold up very well.
- Style of the tent: Tents are created for a variety of purposes. Some are designed to be lightweight for backpacking, while others may be more heavy duty with multiple rooms and sturdy double walls. Some campers may prefer a dome style tent that features a rounded top, and others, a cabin style with straight walls. Consider the style of tent that will best suit your camping needs.
- Season rating: Tents are rated in accordance by season. This tells you the level of protection they offer. 3-season tents are suitable for the weather and temperatures for fall, spring and summer months. Four-season tents offer additional protection when camping in the other three seasons of winter weather, extreme cold and snow.
- Features: Tents are made with a variety of features because each camper have differing camping needs and preferences. Some tents offer instant setup, others are lightweight for backpacking, and so forth. Other useful features may include:
- 100% waterproof
- UV resistant
- Ventilation system
- Attached screen room
- Double walls
- Two doors, one, two or three rooms
- Sun shade/awning
List of The Best Camping Tents Under $200
RELATED:Camping in the wet weather? Check out review on the best tents for rain.
Review of The Best Camping Tents Under $200
The Mountainsmith Morrison 2-person 3- season tent keeps you cool in the summer and dry in the rain. Perfect for camping in Spring, Summer and Fall seasons. Small and compact tent is easy to pack into remote locations.
Removable Hard Liner:
You get the dual benefits of a soft cooler with a removable hard liner for flexibility in carrying.
The interior of this tent offers 35 square feet of space for accommodating two adults and gear.
Extra gear storage:
Two vestibules offer room for stowing gear, chairs and personal belongings to keep them safe and dry. The vestibules offer seventeen feet of storage space. Built-in mesh pockets offer convenient storage and organization of necessities.
Tent fly offers windows for increased air flow to prevent the development of condensation and stuffiness.
Two doors offer a more convenient way to enter and exit the tent. Come and go without disturbing other campers who may still be sleeping. Two door feature eliminates the need to climb over other campers.
Easier to carry than heavier tents. Suitable for backpackers and hikers.
Free-standing tent style sets up quickly and easily in just minutes.
- Tent sets up easily without a hassle
- Amazing breathability and great air flow
- Comfortable tent that stays dry inside
- Color coded hooks and poles make setup simple. A nice addition
- Good storage space
- Tent does not come with a footprint. This item can be purchased separately.
The perfect tent for hikers and backpackers. The Kelty Salida for 2 persons is the shelter solution that goes up quickly and keeps you safe and dry. Enjoy additional storage for gear and personal items for comfort and convenience.
Built for carrying on backpacking and hiking trips with lightweight materials and hardware. Keeps the stress off your back for longer trails.
Mesh materials allow air to flow in and out of the tent while keeping flying insects out. The ventilation system prevents condensation from forming and keeps campers and gear dry.
Vestibule for storage:
This compact tent may be deceiving at first glance. When fully set up, the vestibule measures 10 square feet for additional storage space for gear, equipment and personal belongings to protect your necessities from predators and morning dew.
Quick set-up feature:
Two folding tent poles made for lightweight convenience are easy to unfold. The tent sets up quickly and easily for instant free standing shelter protection when and where you need it. The tent breaks down just as easily.
Spacious floor area:
The floor area measures 30.5 square feet for plenty of spacious sleeping area. This is apart from the ten square foot vestibule area that is used for gear storage for a roomy two-person tent.
Quality nylon construction:
High quality nylon fabric make this tent light enough to carry comfortably while hiking. Don’t let the weight fool you. The material is sturdy and keeps the wind out while allowing fresh air to circulate.
- Tent sets up quickly in just a few minutes with no hassles
- Great tent for backpacking, easy to carry
- Tent is good for sleeping two and storing two backpacks with no problem
- Holds up well in a breeze
- Mesh lets fresh air in for a more comfortable interior
- Moisture seeps in through the bottom. The solution for this problem is to add a footprint or use a heavy duty tarp on the bottom of the tent prior to pitching
The Chillbo Cabbins 2-person tent is a lightweight solution for backpackers and hikers with instant setup and comfortable accommodations for up to two campers.
Portable and lightweight:
Light materials are used to keep the weight down, while offering a medium duty protection for three season use.
Two doors make entry and exit easier. You don’t need to climb over a sleeping camping buddy to get in and out of the tent
Full fly sheet:
The full fly sheet offers additional protection from wind and rain, keeping you warmer and dry while you sleep.
Extra roomy carry bag:
The included carrying bag eliminates the fuss involved in folding the tent like it came in the box. The extra space allows you to quickly break camp and pack the tent away until you arrive at your next destination with no hassle in break down and storage.
The addition of a covered entry way offers extra protection from wind and rain. Even in more intense storms, you’re kept warm and dry inside the tent.
Ventilation and visibility:
The addition of mesh materials for windown and two large D frame style doors offer superior ventilation that allows plenty of fresh air to circulate while keeping flying insects and pests on the outside.
- Tent is light to carry and the included bag makes it easy to pack up when it’s time to leave
- Two doors are very convenient for coming and going with two people
- Rainfly and cover are a nice design concept that makes the tent more comfortable when it’s stormy outside
- Strong poles and quality materials. Good tent that holds up well
- This tent goes up very quickly and only needs one person to put up
- Bad smell out of the box. The solution for this issue is to set up the tent and let it air prior to first use.
Affordably priced lightweight tent that offers protection from the elements and flying insects. Spacious backpacking tent has you covered with included rainfly and footprint for over and under protection when you need it.
Full screen tent:
Screen feature gives you amazing ventilation that is useful for keeping out flying insects and letting you enjoy the cool summer breeze with high visibility. When it’s time to sleep, the rainfly gives you privacy and keeps the wind and rain out if it gets stormy overnight.
This trail tent delivers extra room for your camping comfort. The pitched size of the tent measures 90 x 78 x 49, giving you comfortable sleeping space and additional room for storing gear, equipment and personal effects.
The mesh screen material is soft, yet durable micro-fiber that is designeed to hold up under normal use. The aluminum tent poles are sturdy, durable and built to last.
This tent offers an instant shelter in just minutes thanks to the innovative design. Three poles are included for one person setup without a hassle.
Ventilation is at its best with the screen body, but when the rainfly is added for protection from the elements, the inside won’t get stuffy. Vents are built into the rainfly to allow for continued airflow that keeps the wind out, but allows for excellent ventilation for preventing condensation.
This tent comes with a durable Oxford Footprint for keeping the underside of the tent better insulated while protecting the bottom from abrasions or tears. This makes the tent warmer when the weather is cool outside and it also helps to keep moisture from coming under the bottom of the tent for a warmer and dry night’s sleep.
- Lightweight for hiking and backpacking.
- The tent is easy to set up and the materials are good quality. It holds up under regular use
- The footprint is a good addition for making the tent more comfortable
- This tent performs well in windy conditions. It stays in place
- Good ventilation in the tent for a more pleasant environment indoors. This is a plus when the weather is humid
- Some water leakage at seams in rainstorm. The solution is to apply waterproofing product to the seams.
Instant shelter where and when you need it with the comfort of a waterproof and spacious camping tent. Goes up fast with one person setup and stays in place until you take it down.
Free standing quick set-up:
The quick setup design uses just two poles to pitch. Convenient pole clips snap over the tent poles for a setup process that takes just a few minutes to complete without a hassle.
You’ll have plenty of room to store your gear with two spacious vestibules to keep your belongings dry and safe. The addition of mesh storage pockets which are sewn into the body of the tent give you a place to store your necessities and keep them organized for easy access when you need them.
The included water resistant tent fly offers protection when it’s windy and rainy. Stay dry and warm in a protected interior.
Breathable polyester materials allow air circulation without allowing wind or rain to penetrate the rain fly. The entire body of the tent is made from quality mesh materials with two mesh doors for superior ventilation. This prevents the development of condensation or stuffiness inside the tent
The addition of a second door makes entry and exit easier and more convenient. This eliminates the need to climb over sleeping campers. You won’t need to disturb others when leaving the tent or returning.
The lightweight materials and hardware make it easier to carry this tent when hiking or backpacking. The total weight of this tent when fully packed in the carrying case is 5 pounds and 5 ounces.
- This tent goes up fast, in just a few minutes. It’s easy to set up and take back down
- Spacious enough for two people and their gear.
- Extra storage pockets are a real plus for organizing smaller accessories. The gear loft is roomy as well
- Good quality tent that does very well in a light to moderate breeze
- Comfortable tent with good ventilation and a great view during the day
- Tent stakes are on the flimsy side. This is easy to remedy by replacing with heavy duty tent stakes.
Need help choosing cutlery sets for your next camping trip? Check out review on the best camping utensils.
Enjoy comfort and convenience in the Coleman Sundome 4-person tent. Freestanding tent goes up fast for instant shelter when you need to get indoors. Packed with useful features that make camping more enjoyable and comfortable.
Water Resistant Rain Fly:
The addition of a water resistant rain fly gives you protection from stormy weather without blocking airflow for needed ventilation. Stay warm and dry for a more pleasurable camping experience.
Fast assembly feature:
The fast assembly feature makes it quick and easy to pitch this free standing tent that features a two pole design.
In addition to sleeping four campers, the two vestibules give you even more space for storing gear and personal items. Keep your belongings safe and dry. The tent also features built-in mesh pockets for keeping necessities organized and accessible when you need them. Finally, the gear loft gives you one additional place to store gear and equipment.
Entire mesh walls and two mesh doors allow fresh air to circulate while keeping flying insects and other pests on the outside. This also prevents condensation from forming and keeps the interior of the tent dry.
The materials and hardware used in the construction of this tent are light in weight for easy carrying. This makes it a good choice for either car campers or backpackers/hikers. The total weight is 6 pounds and 2 ounces.
You’ll enjoy the roominess of this spacious four-person tent with a base size of 6 ft 2 by 7 ft 5. There is ample room for sleeping up to 4 campers and gear storage.
- Assemby of this tent is fast and easy. It also folds up easily for storage
- Extra storage compartments are useful for keeping smaller items organized and larger items out of the way. This gives more room for moving around inside the tent
- Tent is sturdy and it holds up with regular use
- The ventilation is very good
- Good view when the rainfly is off
- Rain fly leaks. The solution is to add a tarp over the fly to increase waterproofing.
Enjoy an instant shelter that sets up in minutes. Spacious protection that accommodates up to four campers and their gear in comfort. Protection from the elements that goes up fast and tears down just as easily.
High quality 150D polyester material with taped seams is built to hold up under regular use. This fabric is light in weight for easier carrying, but it is strong and durable for long life.
This tent is designed to provide an instant shelter with fast and easy setup. The preattached poles offer fast and simple setup that just requires you to extend them and then secure them. The average setup time is approximately sixty seconds.
The patented WeatherTec System features include welded floors and seams which have been inverted to keep the water out. This means that the tent is 100% water proof and guaranteed to keep you warm and dry, even in inclement weather
Integrated Vented rainfly:
The integrated rainfly is built in to the tent so it doesn’t require extra effort to install. It offers full protection from wind and rain, without interfering with the air flow. The built-in air vents prevent condensation to keep the air inside fresh and dry.
This tent offers an 8×7 area for sleeping and gear storage. Sleeps up to four persons and gear comfortably.
There is no need to buy an additional tarp because this tent comes equipped with a footprint that protects the bottom of the tent from damage while keeping out moisture and giving additional insulation from the cold hard ground.
- Tent is easy to setup and it doesn’t take long
- Good protection from the rain. Tent keeps things dry inside when it is raining
- Quality materials
- Tent stays put in windy weather
- Good value for the price
- Stakes do not work well in rocky ground. Went with a heavy duty stake that worked better.
Enjoy a roomy interior that is packed full of comfort and convenient features for family camping. Sleeps up to five people with storage room for gear, equipment and personal items.
The innovatively designed hoop fly gives additioanl protection from the rain. The unique shape allows rain to flow down the sides so it doesn’t puddle on the top of the rainfly.
The materials and hardware were chosen for their durability and light weight. This makes the tent lighter and easier to carry .
Easy setup design:
The frame is a shock corded style that makes it fast and easy to setup.
The large mesh roof vents and mesh windows allow for adequate air flow to prevent condensation. It also prevents the inside of the tent from becoming stuffy and uncomfortable. This is a plus in humid conditions.
Stay warmer and dry with the Polyurethane coated tent walls and polyethylene treated floor. This tent is designed to repel moisture to keep the interior safe from leaks and condensation.
The dimensions of the pitched tent are 94.5 x 118 x 70.9 inches in height. This not only gives you plenty of room for sleeping and storing gear, it also allows for a high headspace for taller campers. You have the freedom to stand up and walk around without bumping your head into the ceiling.
- This tent has a lot of room inside and it’s very comfortable.
- It’s very easy to assemble and the instructions are easy to understand
- Tent stays dry on the inside
- Good value for a high quality tent
- Great choice for family camping
- Tent stakes are flimsy. These may be replaced with more heavy duty stakes
Family camping in comfort and style with the Evanston Screened tent for 6 persons. Stay warm and dry when it’s rainy and enjoy the spaciousness of a roomy interior
The 75D polyester tafeta materials are strong and durable, yet lightweight and easy to handle. This tent is designed to hold up under regular use.
The patented WeatherTec system ensures that this tent is leak proof and highly water resistant. Welded floors and inverted seams prevent water from leaking through to the contents inside. You’ll sleep warm and dry and your personal items will be safe from water damage.
Extra large interior space:
This six-person tent offers 10 x 9 feet of sleeping and storage space with a 5-foot 8-inch center height for additional comfort. The attached screen room gives you an additional 10 x 5 feet of space that can also be used as a sleeping area.
The quick setup feature allows you to pitch this tent easily within fifteen minutes.
The screen room is made of mesh material that allows good airflow. This prevents condensation and stuffiness.
Bug free zone:
The mesh allows air to circulate through the tent, but it’s small enough to keep flying insects and other pests out.
- Not difficult to setup. Instructions are easy to follow
- Plenty of room for sleeping and gear
- Tent stays dry on the inside with no issues
- The screen room is useful for sunny days as shelter from sunlight
- Quality tent that holds up well
- Difficult to pack back into the carrying bag. It takes practice and to make it fit as originally packed the tent must be folded tightly together.
The Wenzel 8-person Klondike tent is the solution for family camping. Spacious and packed full of features, this tent makes camping a more enjoyable experience in rain or sunshine.
Enjoy the spacious interior with room for sleeping up to 8 persons comfortably. It offers 90 square feet of room for sleeping, playing games and storing gear.
The attached screen porch is a great place to gather for playing games or when the weather is rainy or windy.
The handy front awning protects you from bright sunlight and gives you an additional sheltered space that helps to protect the tent from wind and rain for a cleaner interior.
Zippered windows allow you to open and close at will for more or less air flow. Mesh roof vents allow for continuous air circulation to prevent condensation.
This tent features built-in storage areas for stowing gear, equipment and personal items out of the way of traffic. Includes a gear loft.
In addition to the protective front awning this tent comes with a rain fly that is highly resistant to moisture.
- This tent is easy to pitch for two people.
- Plenty of room for a family of 5 plus gear.
- High quality tent that is sturdy and comfortable
- The ventilation is good in this tent
- Good protection from the wind
- Included tent stakes are cheap plastic. These may be replaced with more heavy duty stakes if preferred.
Finding the best tent is much easier when you know precisely what to look for. It’s much more enjoyable to camp with a shelter that will keep you and your contents warm and dry in cooler weather, and offer you good ventilation and dryness when it’s hot.
Finding the best tent means choosing the one that best meets your camping needs. This is why we’ve included the top ten models that are within the $200 price range. We hope that you find our guide helpful, and that our presentation of the ten different tents give you a few options that help you find the right tent more quickly and easily.