10 Of The Best Hammock Tarps Of 2018 – Review & Rating
Hammocks offer a good way to get off the ground when hiking or backpacking. Even though you can buy a good bug net to keep insects out, this doesn't protect you from wind, rain or even snow. The solution is a hammock tarp. The best hammock tarp will keep you protected and dry in inclement weather. We've prepared a guide that helps you know what to look for before you buy. You'll also find a complete review of the 10 most highly recommended hammock tarps on the market today.
Table of Contents
- Considerations Before Buying
- Comparison Table of The Best Hammock Tarps
- Review of The Best Hammock Tarps
- 1. ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters - ProFly Rain Tarp
- 2. Chill Gorilla Hammock Rain Fly
- 3. Bear Butt Portable Hammock Tarp Shelter
- 4. Hennessy Hammock Hex Rainfly
- 5. Chill Gorilla Waterproof Camping Shelter
- 6. Yuedge Waterproof Sunshade Tent Rain Fly
- 7. Hammock Rain Fly Camping Tarp by Legit Camping
- 8. Sanctuary SilTarp Shelter
- 9. Rain Fly Tarp – The WiseFly by Wise Owl Outfitter
- 10. Camp is easy Waterproof Camping Tarp
- Final Verdict
Considerations Before Buying
The first thing to do is to consider what kind of weather conditions you may be dealing with on your trip. It's always a good idea to plan on the worst possible scenario for the area you'll be in and the time of year. Here are a few more things to consider before you make your final choice.
- Coverage: When you need the maximum possible protection, choose a full coverage tarp. These are also referred to as winter tarps because they offer the best protection for the conditions that may arise in four-season camping. These usually have additional flaps that are used as doors to keep out wind, moisture and cold. If you're going to be out in mild or warm conditions, a simple cover to shelter from the rain will do.
- Material: Backpackers prefer hammock tarps made of nylon materials because they are ultra light for carrying and take up less space in a backpack. They are usually more expensive than the traditional polyethylene which is a heavier, but excellent choice as well.
- Styles of Hammock Tarps: There are four main styles of hammock tarps.
- The Rectangular tarp offers 4 anchor points with a ridge line set above the hammock. Ventilation is lower, but they are useful for offering extra coverage from the weather.
- Hexagonal tarps are like rectangular styles except the corners are angled inwards, requiring less materials and a lighter weight for backpackers. The ventilation is a little better, but they are often higher in price.
- Catenary tarps are crafted with curved cuts that make them even lighter than hexagonals. The shape makes them less likely to sag or be affected by the wind.
- Diamond square tarps are the most lightweight available, but they also offer the least coverage. They only have two anchor points and this makes them easier to setup.
- Durability: The quality of the materials have much to do with how long they will last under normal use. Those which are made of Grade A fabric will hold up longer and offer greater weather resistance without becoming damaged.
Comparison Table of The Best Hammock Tarps
Review of The Best Hammock Tarps
Stay warm and dry in your hammock with the Profly Rain Tarp by Eagles Nest Outfitters.
210D ripstop nylon materials with polyurethane treatment that keeps you warm and dry even in rainy weather. Also keeps the morning dew off of you while you sleep.
Six point connections firmly anchor the ProFly hammock tarp to the ground. This reduces the chances of flapping in moderate winds to keep you protected from the elements.
Large rainfly offers protection for you, your hammock and for your gear. There's even room underneath for a furry friend or two who want to get out of the weather.
The perfect companion for backpackers with a light weight of just 22 ounces. Light and compact for easy carrying in a pack.
Will hold up under adverse conditions thanks to heavy stitching and high quality ripstop nylon materials that are lightweight, yet strong.
- Durable and waterproof
- Waterproof for keeping dry all night, even in a rainstorm
- Cover stakes down securely and doesn't come undone in the wind
- Good value for the price
- High quality rainfly holds up very well
- Very light weight that works great for hiking
- Does not include stakes. Stakes are sold separately.
Sleep or relax in dry comfort with waterproof protection that won't let you down.
RipStop nylon material that works brilliantly to shed water off the sides in a rainstorm.
High quality material is highly resistant to puncture and tears. Fabric is designed to not fail under stress.
The Superfly rain fly comes with two centerlines and nine tie downs for the ultimate in security that is resistant to wind damage so it will stay firmly anchored.
Light materials are ideal for offering a lightweight solution for hikers and backpackers. Compact size ensures that this rainfly will be easy to pack and carry on long treks.
Large enough to keep entire hammock dry and comfortable. Additional room to store gear and equipment as well as pets who would like to get in out of the elements.
- Lightweight & portable
- It's great that stakes are included in this hammock tarp set. Comes complete with everything that's needed.
- Double center lines are a plus for added strength and stability
- Works as advertised. Keeps everyone and everything underneath it dry
- Quality product that holds up well
- Very light and easy to carry
- A few users report missing parts upon delivery. Contact manufacturer because warranty covers this and they are quick to respond.
Extra large hammock shelter for keeping you and your companions dry and protected from the elements
Large size measures 9 ft 4 inches on the sides with a 12 ft 10 inch measurement down the middle for ample space for multiple peoples and hammocks to fit underneath the shelter.
Water resistant materials cause water to shed dramatically so there is no pooling or leakage onto the contents below for a dryer and warmer night's sleep.
The use of 190T polyester makes this tarp tough and durable to hold up under frequent use and the rigors of the elements.
Four reflective guy lines with tensioneers and two metal stakes are all you need to keep this handy shelter anchored firmly in place.
High quality product that is guaranteed to please or you get a full refund of your replacement from the manufacturer, no questions asked.
- Fully Waterproof
- Full coverage
- Durable materials
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed warranty
- Works great in rainy weather. Keeps contents underneath dry
- Stays in place in windy conditions
- Good coverage with plenty of space underneath the tarp
- Easy to setup
- Quality tarp that does its job time and time again
- A little hard to stuff back into the carrying bag after use.
Enjoy the comforts of sleeping under a fully rain resistant shelter with room to spare.
Polyester ripstop material is polyurethane coated to resist rain and moisture for a dryer night's rest.
May be staked down on both sides of hammock or angled out for greater coverage area. Two setup options.
Strong polyester ripstop materials are built to hold up under frequent use and adverse weather conditions.
Expandable for use with multiple hammock shelter or more intense protection for just one
May also be used to shelter cooking areas when not in use as a hammock shelter
- Two setup options
- Durable materials
- Dependable protection from rain
- Great for keeping hammock area warmer by staking down to enclose the area
- Light enough for backpacking
- Quality materials hold up very well
- Easy to setup and additional options for coverage are a bonus
- Doesn't fit back into storage bag after using. Tight folding is required to make this fit back into the storage bag. A larger bag may be substituted if preferred.
Stay out of the rain and wind with the Chill Gorilla hex hammock rain fly tent tarp.
Specially treated material keeps water and other moisture out of the sheltered area. Water is quickly shed down the sides.
May be used as a full coverage rain fly that accommodates more than one hammock, or as a tented cover with flaps pulled around the tent for greater protection and added warmth.
Perfect for hikers and backpackers with a compact size and light weight. Easy to carry without straining your muscles on hiking or backpacking trips.
Fabric is puncture and tear resistant for the maximum in durability under adverse conditions when you need it the most.
Designed to be up to 24 percent larger than many other hammock tarps. 16.63 square feet of coverage with stakes included.
- Spacious coverage
- Durable materials
- Lightweight and portable
- Very light which makes it easier to carry on overnight hikes
- Keeps the rain out as advertised
- Strong materials and good quality product
- Very good value for the price
- Versatile tarp that can be used in a few different ways
- Instructions for use not included. Contact the manufacturer or go online if instructions are missing.
Make the most of this durable sunshade and tent rain fly tarp that will keep you dry and comfortable anywhere in the great outdoors.
May be used as a tent rain fly, cooking shelter or as a hammock tarp. Can also be used as a sunshade on hot and sunny days.
190T ripstop nylon materials shed water remarkably well to keep you dry in inclement weather.
This tarp is the ideal accessory for hikers and backpackers because it only weighs 1.6 pounds. It also comes with a handy stuff sack for carrying.
The unique design of this tarp helps to keep it from flapping in the wind and protecting what's underneath from nasty and stormy weather.
If there are any defects in the workmanship or materials of this product, you have a lifetime limited warranty that guarantees your ultimate satisfaction.
- Streamlined shape
- Money back guarantee
- Lightweight and portable
- Great for multiple uses when backpacking
- Keeps you dry overnight for a more comfortable night's sleep
- Sets up fast and easy with no hassles
- Works as advertised
- Offers additional protection when used with a single hammock
- Not large enough for a double hammock. Intended for use with single hammock.
Legit camping Hammock rain fly offers the maximum protection from the rain and wind.
The ripstop nylon materials are one of the most lightweight materials available, with the strength to hold up under stress without failing.
This tarp offers the ultimate protection from rain and moisture with high quality ripstop nylon fabric that is treated with polyurethane coating for resistance to moisture. Design causes heavy downpours to shed off the sides so you stay dry underneath
The hammock tarp measures 10 x 10 with a centerline of 170 inches for plenty of room to cover either single or double hammocks.
Available in either diamond or square shape for fast setup and an immediate shelter.
9 guy points ensure that this hammock tarp will stay firmly in place.
- Weather protection
- Full coverage
- Ultra lightweight
- Fast setup
- Tie down ropes would be better if they were longer. Longer tie ropes may be substituted if preferred.
Attention backpackers, hikers and everyone else who loves their hammocks. Rolling Fox tarp shelter is the essential necessity for ensuring the maximum comfort possible.
Rolling Thunder isn't an issue when you go prepared. Polyester materials are PV coated for the maximum in water resistance.
Designed with backpackers in mind, the ultralight materials don't add a lot of weight to the pack for easier carrying and less muscle strain.
The diamond shape is one of the easiest and fastest hammock tarps to setup. It just takes a few seconds and you have an instant shelter whenever it's needed.
May be used as a hammock tarp or for covering your cooking area as needed.
This diamond tarp stays in place, thanks to the 16 tie off loops and included 4 guy lines and 4 stakes. This allows you to configure it however you need.
- Compact and ultralight
- Diamond shape
- Very versatile and can be setup in a variety of different ways
- Goes up fast and easy. A plus for when a squall comes through
- Strong materials are durable and overall a good quality
- Convenient for hiking and backpacking
- Good light coverage for single hammock
- Flaps in the wind. This may be remedied by tightening the anchor points
Add the WiseFly rain fly tarp to keep you drier and warmer on your next camping trip. Set includes everything you need for use.
WiseFly Rain Tarp is suitable for camping, backpacking sporting events or festivals. It's light to carry and small enough to take with you anywhere.
Can be used as a hammock rain fly or for other occasions when you want to keep the sun or rain off your head.
Ripstop nylon in the highest quality and strength guarantees against punctures or tears.
Highly compatible with most brands of hammocks for protection from the sun, wind and rain
- Compact and ultralight
- High quality materials
- High performing and look good after a few uses
- Good protection from the rain.
- Waterproof and keeps you dry
- Holds up well in windy conditions
- Good coverage for multiple uses including hammocks and other
- Only one complaint in 30 positive reviews for cost being too high for quality.
This is an amazing gift for the person in your life who has a hammock or enjoys hiking, backpacking or camping. Keep your loved ones warm and dry with a versatile camping tarp.
Polyester fabric is treated to resist the penetration of water and moisture to keep you dry and comfortable.
210D Polyester fabric is resistant to tears and punctures for more dependability when you really need it.
Large size of this tarp, that is 144 inches at the centerline and measures 118 inches in width. Big enough to shelter a single or double hammock with room to spare for gear, personal items and a pet or two.
The total weight of this waterproof camping/hammock tarp is just 1.5 pounds. This makes it an excellent choice for hikers or backpackers who don't want to bog down their packs with unnecessary weight.
Unlike some other tarps that require the purchase of additional accessories, everything that you need for setup is included in the portable bag that is used to carry it all. You get the XL waterproof nylon tarp, with centerline and 4 guy ropes for securing in place and it also comes with four aluminum stakes and a handy carrying bag.
- Water resistant
- Lightweight & portable
- Everything you need is included
- Good quality workmanship and materials
- Easy to set up and tightens well
- Extra spacious without being too heavy
- Taped ridgeline is a plus for waterproofing
- Good value for the price
- The carrying bag could be a better quality.
Serious campers, hikers and backpackers know the importance of staying warm and dry when using a hammock. They have their advantages, but they're great resources when you have the right accessories to go with them. One of the most important things you can do is to use the right hammock tarp to protect you from the elements.
Our review of the ten best hammock tarps gives you the details about features that will enhance your experience, and make it easier to find the right tarp for your needs. Our reviews include a variety of different styles, brands and models to give you the greatest assortment of the top rated tarps on the market today. We hope that you find them useful in making it easy and hassle free to find the product that you're looking for.