8 of The Best Hammock Underquilts of 2018 – Review & Rating
There are many advantages to using a hammock. They offer a fast and portable place to sleep, and keep you suspended off the ground. The one drawback is that your backside can get cold quickly. The hamock bottom is exposed to the air and it can get chilly. The solution to this problem is to use an underquilt. It offers padding and insulation to make your hammock experience more comfortable. To help you find the best hammock quilts, here are useful tips that tell you what to look for, with reviews of the top 8 on the market today.
Table of Contents
- What Is An Underquilt?
- Why Underquilts Work So Well?
- Considerations Before Buying
- Comparison Table of The Best Hammock Underquilts
- Best Hammock Underquilts Reviews
- 1. ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters - Ember 2 Under Quilt
- 2. OneTigris Hammock Underquilt
- 3. Snugpak Hammock Cocoon with Travelsoft Filling
- 4. Outdoor Vitals Aerie 30°F Down Underquilt
- 5. ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters - Vulcan Underquilt
- 6. Chill Gorilla 40°F Hammock Underquilt
- 7. Outdoor Vitals OV-Roost 40°F UnderQuilt
- 8. ENO Eagles Nest Outfitters - Blaze Under Quilt
- Final Verdict
What Is An Underquilt?
Underquilts are intended for use with hammocks to protect your backside from wind and cold when you sleep. They offer insulation in the places you need it. You may be wondering why not use a sleeping bag instead? Sleeping bags are compressed by your body weight, so they don't offer enough insulation or protection.
Underquilts are made of sleeping bag insulation, but they are used on the bottom of the hammock where the materials are not compressed by your body weight, making them the better choice over pads or sleeping bags.
Why Underquilts Work So Well?
- They trap heat in: Underquilts work like sleeping bags, but they are used on the bottom of the hammock where the layers are not compressed by your body weight. This traps the heat generated by your body in the thicker layers which have more air in between. This gives you much more insulation from the cold and the wind.
- They wrap around you: Underquilts not only cover the bottom of the hammock, they also wrap around the top. This acts like a cocoon of insulation..
- They fit perfectly to the shape of the hammock: The quilts keep out cold and wind because they cover all parts of the hammock. There are no exposed areas where wind or cold can seep through them.
- Underquilts are more convenient: Underquilts do not bunch up around your ankles or your knees, because they are on the outside of the hammock. You won't need to reposition them throughout the night
- Underquilts offer a greater coverage area: Underquilts are so much larger than pads or sleeping bags that they cover more area. This gives you enough room to accommodate another person or a beloved pet inside.
- They retain their shape: Underquilts made of down materials hold their shape better than those made with synthetics. They hold their shape to take all the frustration out of using them.
Considerations Before Buying
There are many different brands and kinds of underquilts on the market today. Before you make your purchase, there are a few things to consider. Here are a few tips that will help you to find the best underquilt for your situation.
- Size and dimensions: The underquilt that you choose musts be the right size to give you the coverage area you need. It should completely cover the hammock area. You don't want it to be too small, nor too large. Check the dimensions and compare them with the hammock you'll be using it with..
- Materials: This is one of the most important considerations. We recommend buying an underquilt that is made of down materials. Down offers the best type of insulation for trapping in heat. It also retains its shape better than many of the synthetic materials that are out there.
- Useful features: Some underquilts are heavier and some are lighter. This may not matter if you're a car camper, but if you're a backpacker, weight will be a concern. If you will be carrying this with you for any amount of time, choose one that is made of lightweight materials for ease of carrying.Other comfort features include wickability. This is how well the materials wick moisture away from your body when it's moist outside. Choose an underquilt that draws the moisture away from your body so it can easily evaporate and keep you more comfortable as you sleep.
- Budgeting: If you're on a tight budget, then you're in luck. Underquilts come in a wide range of prices. Of course, you generally get what you pay for, but there are some high quality quilts out there for an economic price. We've included a few here. While down is usually more expensive, there are other underquilts that will perform very well.
- Consumer reviews/quality: Before buying, it's important to be aware of what others have to say about the product. Consumer reviews are useful for learning more about the pros and cons based on the experiences of others. While some items may be labelled as a one size fits all, everyone has their own individual needs and preferences. The best underquilt for you may be different for somebody else. When you find one the most closely meets your needs, you have found "the best.".
Comparison Table of The Best Hammock Underquilts
Best Hammock Underquilts Reviews
Stay warm and comfortable with the ENO Ember 2 under quilt. High quality materials keep the cold and wind at bay.
The adjustable shock cord gives you the best possible fit. No gaps and no cold spots.
Compact size and weight:
Perfect for hikers and backpackers with stuffed dimensions of 15" x 8" and it weighs just 25 ounces. Light for making long treks without a lot of additional weight in your pack.
Compatible with most hammocks:
One size fits all thanks to the adjustable shock cord. Generous size fits both single and double hammock sizes.
Poly filling gives you insulation both above and below the hammock to seal in the heat that your body generates overnight. This keeps you warm throughout the entire night for a more comfortable night's sleep.
Choice of colors:
The ENO underquilt is available in three attractive colors. Choose from Navy/Royal; Lime/Charcoal or Charcoal/Red.
- Compatible with most hammock brands, singles and doubles
- Lightweight and compact size for easy carrying
- Polyester insulation for additional protection that traps heat in
- Atractive cover for both top and bottom of hammock in choice of colors
- Easy to setup and use
- Bulky for fitting into backpacks.
Backpackers delight with the OneTigris Hammock Underquilt that gives you full sized protection without the extra weight.
Ultra light materials:
The perfect underquilt for backpackers and hikers. Made with ultra light high quality polyester filling. Premium Ripstop Nylon shell that is light yet durable.
Built to withstand temperatures between 68 and 40 degrees F to keep you toasty and warm. Rated for use in three seasons including Spring, Summer and Fall temperature variations. Great for camping, hiking, backpacking or backyard use.
Compressible materials with stuffed dimensions of 13 x 8 inches. Also includes a nylon stuff sack to make storage easier.
This underquilt is compatible with most hammock brands that are a standard size. May not be suitable for larger or double sized hammocks.
Sets up quickly and easily so you don't have to spend hours in the cold. Short bungee cord loops attach to hammock fast and hassle free.
- Lightweight materials
- Offer good protection from colder nights
- Fits snugly around hammock and keeps out the cold
- Easy to setup and start using right away
- Durable materials hold up under regular use
- Not very compact. Doesn't fit into a backpack very well.
The Snugpak Hammock Cocoon offers protection from the cold of spring, summer and fall evenings. Enjoy a more comfortable nights rest.
Travelsoft filling provides insulation to help trap in body heat that is generated while you sleep. It also keeps out the cold and drafts
Compatible with most hammocks:
Fits most standard sized hammocks
The MicroDiamond fabric has been specially treated with Paratex antibacterial solution to prevent mold and mildew from developing.
The Snugpak Hammock cocoon fits over your hammock like a banana and it keeps out the cold evening air, giving you protection on sides, top and bottom for all over protection from chilly temperatures.
Lightweight and compact:
The light weight makes it easy to carry this hammock cover and the compact size is easy to fit into a backpack. Good for hiking, backpacking, outdoor camping and backyard lounging.
- Easy to setup and use
- Good protection from the elements for a warmer nights sleep
- Durable materials hold up very well
- Fits snugly and provides really good coverage
- A little tight when zipped at a diagonal
Enjoy the versatility of the Outdoor Vitals Aerie down underquilt. High quality materials offer excellence for comfort, ease of use and protection from the cold.
This underquilt is one of the most versatile underquilts on the market today. It functions as an underquilt, a technical blanket ,a sleeping bag, a double sleeping bag or a hammock pod system.
Stormloft Down insulation:
This new patented material is an update for 2017. It is certified 800+ fill power down that has been responsibly sources and is DWR treated for the ultimate in moisture resistance. It wicks perspiration and moisture away from your body for a more comfortable night's sleep.
Lightweight yet high quality fabrics combine to offer a highly insulative underquilt that keeps you warm without adding additional weight to carry with you. Easy to carry with less weight and bulk which makes it great for backpackers and hikers.
Grid Baffle Design:
The innovative Grid baffle design keeps the down locked firmly down into its proper placement so you won't need to put up with shifts in the filling or cold spots.
- Easy to setup and use
- Thin materials that are great for backpacking
- Great product that is food for multiple uses. Amazing versatility
- Offers good coverage with no cold spots or drafts
- Underquilt works well for most hammocks of all sizes
- Thin materials.
Enjoy additional warms and comfort for hammock lounging with the ENO Vulcan Underquilt. The perfect solution for backpackers, hikers or backyard lounge enthusiasts who are tired of a cold bottom.
This unique insulation type offers four season protection from fluctuating temperatures. Rated for temps between 35 to 45 degrees F.
The Differential cut design makes it possible to achieve a more precise and snugger fit for greater comfort.
The high quality fabrics are treated with a waterproofing solution to help repel moisture and keep you warmer and dryer while you sleep.
A good underquilt for backpackers that weights a mere 30 ounces. A good solution for hikers and backpackers. Even comes wtih a stuff sack for for easy storage and carrying.
Full Length protection:
The Vulcan Underquilt is full length to work with most hammock types and offers full protection from drafts and the cold with no cold spots.
- Easy to setup and use
- Lightweight and fits well into backpack
- Durable materials that perform nicely
- Good coverage and traps in the heat very well
- Shock cord suspension is adjustable
- A little short for people over 6 feet tall.
The Chill Gorilla Hammock Underquilt blanket is light enough to carry with you wherever you go. Enjoy a warmer night's rest in your hammock with this essential backpacking and survival gear.
Premium quality materials:
20D ripstop nylon shell is water resistant and synthetic insulation is rated to 40 degrees F. It can be washed by hand and dries fast.
Compatible with all Hammock types:
Designed to fit all hammock brands and sizes including Chill Gorilla, OneTigris, ENT, SnugPak ,ENO and more.
Compact and Lightweight:
Easy to store and carry thanks to the four strap compression stuff sack. Reduces down to a size of just 7" x 10" to easily store in a backpack or other tight space. Made of ultra light materials to keep the stress and strain off your back while hiking.
Enjoy protection from the cold of Spring, Summer and Fall nights with high performing insulation that blocks out the cold and keeps you more comfortable while you slee
Easy setup design:
Easy to setup by attaching the two shockcords at each end of the hammock carabiner. The shock cords are easy to attack and the dual draw cinch cords are fully adjustable to get the desired amoung of tension.
- Very lightweight design makes it great for backpacking and it's easy to store
- Excellent protection from cooler temperatures with no cold spots
- Very easy to setup and start using right away. Hassle free.
- Quality materials hold up well
- Comfortable with plenty of space to move around in.
- A little bulky for backpack
Versatile Underquilt that can also be used as either a sleeping bag or as a double bag. You'll get your money's worth with this high quality protection that features multiple different uses.
This versatile three in one underquilt may be used as an underquilt, a sleeping bag or as a double sleeping bag. It can be attached to the under side of a hammock to help protect the bottom from cooler temperatures, or f you decide not to use your hammock,simply zip up the bag and use as a sleeping bag. Because of the unique zipper system, you can purchase two and make a double sleeping bag.
Ultralight and compact:
The weight of this system is two pounds and seven and a half ounces. For its versatility, this is very lightweight. It also is compressible to a size of 8 x 8 x 8 inches for easy packing and storage.
Premium quality materials:
The shell is made from high quality 300T rip-stop fabric with a zipper guard andd Hallow Filament Synthetic filling that offers excellent insulation and protection from chilly weather.
The company offers direct to the consumer marketing that removes the middle man from the equation. This means lower prices to customers with no need to skimp on the quality.
When purchased direct from the manufacturer, this product comes with a full lifetime warranty.
- Works very well for keeping the underside of the hammock protected from cool night temperatures
- High quality materials are strong and durable
- Zippers are excellent quality
- Versatile product with multiple uses
- Affordable cost, high quality and a good value
- Doesn't come with directions, but they're available online.
High quality premium duck down insulation gives you the best protection from the cold that is available. Four season hammock that will keep you warm in temps down to 30 degrees F.
Four Season protection:
The ENO Blaze underquilt for hammocks offers the best in outdoor hammock protection with powerfully insulative materials that keep you warm all the way down to 30 degrees F.
Duck Down Insulation:
Duck down is one of the most effective insulation materials available on the market today. It offers the benefit of wicking moisture away from the surface so it can evaporate without causing discomfort if you perspire while you sleep.
This underquilt has been treated with waterproof coating to keep moisture from becoming a problem. The unique combination of materials, treatment and design cause moisture to shed, keeping the down fill on the inside dry.
Compresses into a 14 x 7 inch size for packing and storage. Also comes with a handy stuffsack to make storage easier.
Easy to setup and use:
Very easy to setup with shock cord suspension rails. Also adjustable from where you're lying without the need to get up and reposition yourself.
- Premium and high quality materials
- Effective at keeping heat trapped inside without the inconvenience of cold spots
- Easy to setup for immediate use
- Adjustable from where you are sitting so you won't have to get up to get a good, snug fit
- Durable materials that hold up well
- No consumer cons associated with this product.
Using an outdoor hammock can be a convenient and extremely comfortable place to sleep. The only real drawback is that the bottom part is wide open to cold and wind. One of the most common complaints from hammockers is this issue.
The best solution is to use a high quality underquilt that offers the degree of protection that you need to be the most comfortable. These essential hammocking items offer insulation to keep your body heat trapped so you will be warmer and more comfortable as you sleep through the night.
Our guide and reviews are offered to let you know what you should consider before making your purchase. The "best" hammock underquilt is the one that will most closely meet your needs. We've offered the top 8 available on the market today for your consideration. We've done the research to make it easier to find the perfect choice in one convenient location.