10 of The Best Hiking Boots Under $100 – Both Men and Women
Hiking boots are an essential whether you are a serious hiker, or just giving it a try. Going out on a trail with the wrong shoes can be catastrophic. The probability of developing blisters, turning an ankle or slipping and falling goes up. You don't need to spend a fortune to find the ideal hiking boots. We've put together a guide and review of the best hiking boots under $100 for both men and women. You'll find all the information that you need to help you find the right boots for the job.
Table of Contents
- What Type Of Shoes/Boots You Need When Hiking?
- Considerations Before Buying
- Comparison Table
- Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Men
- Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Women
- Some Frequently Asked Questions
- Final verdict
What Type Of Shoes/Boots You Need When Hiking?
When hiking, you will come across a variety of different terrains. There may be rocky places, soft dirt or slippery terrain. It's important to wear shoes or boots that will give you good traction.
There is also a bigger risk of turning your ankle or having other mishaps walking over uneven terrain. Your footwear should also offer good ankle support for protection. A good pair of hiking boots will help to keep you safer than a pair of tennis shoes that don't offer the traction and support.
Considerations Before Buying
- Determine the use: The first thing you need to do is determine what you're going to use them for. Will you be hiking on even and well-maintained trails with a light pack? If so, a low to mid-cut hiking boot will be adequate protection. When trails are more challenging, will rough terrain, a higher top hiking boot is recommended.
- Waterproofing: Anticipate worst weather scenarios. If there is a chance that it will be raining, or the ground will be wet, you'll need waterproof boots. This will help to keep your feet dry in all weather conditions. When your boots aren't waterproof, wet feet can be uncomfortable and may even cause blisters. Hiking in wet boots can make your hike miserable.
- Breathability: Check the breathability of the boots before you purchase. Ventilation and breathable materials will prevent your feet from becoming too hot and sweating. Your hike is more comfortable and enjoyable when your boots allow the right amount of air flow.
- Traction: Hiking trails can be rocky, slippery or wind through uneven terrain. Hiking boots are made with a variety of different sole types and traction levels. Choose the type that offers the amount of traction you will need for the area that you'll be hiking in. If the trail is more even and well-maintained, and you're carrying a light pack, you won't need heavy traction. If you're traveling through mud or carrying a heavy pack, a heavier lug sole will give you the best traction for your safety .
- Choose the correct size: One of the most important parts of choosing hiking boots is to make sure that they fit your feet perfectly. Try them on in the afternoon, because this is when your feet are likely to be their largest. Some people have minor swelling later in the day, so this is the best time to find the right fit. Make allowances for the thickness of sock that you will wear. The boot should fit snugly, but not be tight. There should be room in the toe section, but no so much that the boot slips on your feet when you walk.
- Style of hiking boot: It's important to choose the right style of boot to suit the conditions you will hike in. For example, if you carry a heavy pack, or hike in challenging conditions, your ankles will need more support. Choose boots with a higher cut top. If you're doing light hiking on an easy trail, with a light pack, you can get by with a low or mid-cut boot.
- Features: Consider which features are important to you. Hiking boots come in a variety of styles and models. Some hikers prefer lighter boots because they are easier to walk in. Others don't mind a heavy boot with a lug sole because of the superior traction they offer. Another feature to consider is the amount of padding that you prefer. Some hiking boots have less padding, and some more. This is a matter of preference and what is the most comfortable for you. Arch support is another feature. People who are more flat-footed may require extra arch support, while it can be uncomfortable for others.
Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Men
Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Women
Thinking about buying a wheeled cooler? Check out our review on Best Wheeled Coolers.
Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Men
Your feet will stay cool and dry with this boot that is the ideal choice for weekend or day hikes. Padded for additional comfort and a snug fit for ankle protection in uneven terrain.
Waterproof leather materials wick away moisture to keep feet dry and cool while hiking.
Padded collar and tongue:
Padding in the collar and tongue of the boot offer additional ankle support and comfort.
Breathable EVA footbed:
The EVA footbed in a dual density, removable component that allows air to circulate through the perforations. Moisture wicks away from the feet to keep them dry and cool.
Traction support system:
Timberland boots feature a BSFP traction and support system. It stands for Brake, Support, Flex and propel. Rubber soles are crafted with a lug design that grips in challenging conditions.
The gusseted tongue design helps to relieve pressure from boot laces. It also keeps trail debris out of boots.
- Amazing gripping power in mud and slippery surfaces
- Size generally runs true with a good, snug fit
- Quality materials and a sturdy boot
- Waterproof boots keep feet dry when there is light moisture. May need extra waterproofing for extreme weather
- Comfortable to wear on day hikes
- Boots feel stiff for the first few days. This issue is resolved by breaking them in
A mid-cut hiking boot for men that keeps feet cool and dry in inclement weather. Special contouring provides the ultimate traction at the heel for added safety.
The design and construction of this lightweight boot allows you to walk for extended hikes without leg fatigue.
Waterproof leather and textile fabric with a rubber sole make this boot highly resistant to light rain and other moisture. Your feet stay dry for a more comfortable hiking experience.
The heel is crafted with a contoured shape to offer more traction on rocky or slippery surfaces. The 4mm multi-directional lugs and heel lock add greater grip to lessen the chance of falling.
This boot features a breathable leather lining that allows air to flow in and out. It keeps your feet cool and dry.
Paded tongue and collar:
Padding in the tongue and collar offer greater comfort and less chance of rubbing or blisters.
- Lightweight boots are easy on the back for longer hikes
- The contoured heel gives better traction than some other hiking boots
- Good ventilation. Feet do not sweat in these hiking boots unless the weather is scorching outside
- Mid-cut style is more comfortable for lighter hiking excursions
- Waterproof in light to moderate rainy conditions
- Boots do not hold up for heavy construction work. The solution is to use them for their intended purpose. They are hiking boots, not work boots
Waterproof protection that is the solution for day hikers who enjoy summer hikes. The mid-hiker is a comfortable hiking boot that is suitable for summer hiking excursions.
Breathable leather and textile materials offer airflow to prevent hot and sweaty feet while hiking. Mesh material in the upper increases airflow for a more comfortable experience.
This boot comes equipped with a built-in FRESH system for odor prevention. Stop offensive foot odor and eliminate the need for powders and deodorant inserts.
Mid height boot features a shaft that measures four inches from the arch for moderate ankle support without the height of a high top.
A built in shock absorber in the form of an air cushion heel gives this hiking boot extra comfort on long hikes.
The Ortholite system provides anatomical footbed within the boot for additional support.
- Boots are light and comfortble for day hikes
- Well-fitting boot that feel good on the feet
- Good quality
- Highly breathable
- Best choice for light hiking
- Boots allow dust inside. The part mesh upper allows greater airflow. Clean after use to prevent dust buildup in upper portion.
The richness of leather offers a natural support in the Newton Ridge plus with high resistance to moisture. Arch support, flexibility and strong gripping traction soles for maximum safely.
High top support:
High leather uppers measure five inches from the arch of the boot for maximum ankle and foot support.
The leather, mesh, suede and metal materials used in the construction of this hiking boot are coated with UP for maximum resistance to water and other types of moisture. The addition of waterproof seam construction seals moisture out to keep feet cool and dry.
The Techlite patented midsole offers a high energy return for each step, holding fatigue at bay. It's built from lightweight materials.
Extra comfort from well-placed cushioning to guard against friction points for a more comfortable wearing experience.
Rubber sole features Omni-Grip patented traction rubber that grips well, while being resistant to leaving black marks on floors.
- Comfortable boot that is padded in the right places
- Keeps feet dry when it's wet outside
- Good boot for hiking in more challenging trails
- Amazing arch support
- Boots hold up well over time. Very durable
- Uncomfortable in the arch area. This hiking boot is more suitable for hikers who need arch support
Waterproof Outdoor boot that resists moisture with Gore-Tex materials for one hundred percent protection from rainy or dewy trails. Comfort all day day long as you trek through puddles or small streams.
Leather and fabric materials are complemented with a breathable lining for good air flow that helps to prevent foot sweating.
The leather upper and 1000 denier nylon, along with the abrasion resistant toe cap make this a sturdy and durable boot that holds up over time.
Nylon fabric and nubuck leather materials combine to present a lightweight, yet durable outdoor boot that is suitable for moderately challenging hiking situations.
Gore-Tex is a waterproof material that keeps water out of the boot. The addition of Thermoplastic PU shank is an additional defense against moisture.
The use of the Terra Force platform is a part of the design that adds stability and lightweight performance to this comfortable boot.
- Lightweight for comfortable day hikes
- The cushioning in the footbed makes this boot comfortable to wear
- Truly waterproof. No leaks when walking through small streams or puddles
- Good ventilation. Feet stay nice and dry
- Legs don't get tired as quicky because of the weight and shape of these boots
- Uncomfortable around the ankles at first. Walking around in heavy socks helps to break them in for a looser fit around ankles.
Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Women
Keep your feet dry in the rain when hiking in the Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot.
Made of full grain leather which is treated with Omnishield waterproofing
Resistant to staining:
The same protection that keeps moisture out also makes this boot resistant to staining, keeping them looking newer for longer.
The mid sole is compression molded of EVA foam for a lighter boot that reduces leg fatigue on longer hikes.
High cut support:
Ankles are calves are well-protected from twists and turns on uneven terrain and rocks. The 5.25 inch shaft offers high top style support.
Durable rubber sole offers grippability of moderate degree to help in preventing accidental falls on moderately challenging walking trails.
- Lightweight for easier walking on longer hikes
- Great ankle support
- Lug support soles give firm grip for more stability
- D-ring and clamshell lacing is sturdy and attractive
- These boots tend to run 1/2 size larger. Order accordingly for a good fit.
Waterproof protection that still offers excellent ventilation for a comfortable hiking experience.
Clorts Women Hiker is made with breathable materials that allow airflow that prevents foot sweating. The combination of leather and mesh materials offer the maximum in breathability.
Uneebtex membrane is fully waterproof to keep your feel dry when it's rainy outside.
Rubber toe cap:
The rubber toe cap protects your hiking boots from abrasions and scuffing. it also offers addition protection from water.
The suede, mesh and leather materials are durable, yet lightweight materials that make this boot a more comfortable option for longer hikes.
Actifresh technology in the sanitized Clorts insole helps to block the formation of odor causing bacteria for a fresher smelling boot after use.
- Very sturdy boot that holds us well under use
- Comfortable with padding in just the right places
- Keeps feet dry when it's wet outside
- Feet don't sweat in these boots
- Atrractive and lightweight
- These hiking boots are too narrow for some users. They are not intended for wide or extra wide feet shapes.
Lightweight comfort with protection from wet conditions with the Merrell Women's Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe.
The low profile offers greater comfort on less challenging trails
Leather and mesh upper materials are the perfect combination for keeping water out and allowing the air to circulate throughout the shoe.
Padding is placed in the areas that most commonly become friction points. The addition of the air cushion construction makes this shoe comfortable for extended use.
The combination of suede leather and mesh give this shoe a light and natural feeling.
Treated to resist water and keep the inside of the shoe dry and comfortable.
- Waterproof in mildly wet conditions
- Very light shoe that doesn't lead to leg fatigue
- Good ventilation. Feet do not sweat
- Very comfortable to wear
- Hold up well under use. Very durable
- Some who ordered wide size found heel too large. Thicker socks accommodate this difference, or smaller width can be ordered.
Mid hiking boot that is suitable for rain or shine weather conditions. Also available in a C width for those with wider feet.
Waterproof construction with nubuck and hydrophobic ripstop mesh material keep your feet dry in wet conditions.
This boot comes in a C width to accommodate a more comfortable feet for women with wider foot sizes.
Removable dual density EVA footbed gives you additional shock absorption
EVA footbed is formed to provide additional arch support.
Spider rubber sole offers traction dependability.
- Extra width is more comfortable and it's nice that it comes with this option
- This boot keeps feet dry when it's moist outside
- Attractive women's hiking boots are stylish
- Boots are rigid where they need to be for great support
- These boots are very comfortable to wear with good padding that doesn't go over the top
- Boots are a half size too large. This is a common remark. Order in a half size smaller than your regular size if they are a full half size too large. If the difference is in between, thicker socks compensate well.
Keep your feet cool and comfortable with the breathable Moab 2 Vent.
The mesh material that is used to line this boot allows airflow for excellent ventilation. This helps to prevent perspiration and the development of moisture in the boot.
The unique bellows desing of the closed cell foam tongue keeps trail debris out of the boot as well as making it moisture proof.
Arch and heel support:
The shape of the EVA contoured footbed offers excellent support for the arch and the heel of the foot.
The suede leather and mesh upper are high quality materials that offer durability and long life under the intended use.
- Very well ventilated
- Sturdy boot holds up well
- Waterproof boots good for hiking when it's wet outside
- Comfortable to wear for several hours
- Good foot support
- Boots run too warm for hot climates. One out of 25 users found this boot to be too warm.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Are Hiking Boots Really Necessary?
Hikers and backpackers can tell you that hiking boots are vital! Your feet and ankles are more vulnerable to injury when you're hiking across uneven terrain It's easy to turn an ankle and if you're carrying a backpack, the weight puts a great deal of stress and strain on your feet and ankles. You need the support that only hiking boots can provide.
How Should your Hiking Boot Fit?
Know your size, and don't compromise when it comes to the way hiking boots fit. There should be room enough to wiggle your toes, but everywhere else, they should fit snugly. This does not mean tight. A perfect fit means that your toes have a little room to move, but your feet should not move around in the boot when you walk or run.
Common Fitting Considerations
Even hiking boots in your usual size may not be a good fit. The build and design must fit the contours of your feet perfectly. Consider the width of your feet. Are they wide or narrow? If so, shop around until you find a boot that is designed for your foot shape. Also think about your instep.
Some people have high arches and others are flat footed. Some boots can cause rubbing that leads to blistering if they are too loose or too tight at any point. Seam placement can be another issue to watch for. If seams of a particular boot rub against any part of your foot or ankle, choose another design that doesn't.
Do Hiking Boots Stretch Out?
This depends on the type of material that is used in the construction. High quality hiking boots do not stretch very much at all. You should purchase a well-fitting pair and don't plan on any stretching of the material when making your decision. If they are tight now, they are likely to remain tight on your feet. Go for the perfect fit from day one.
Can you Wear Waterproof Hiking Boots in Snow?
Hiking boots are not insulated enough to protect your feet from the cold of deep snow. If they are not waterproof, your feet will get wet. It's okay to walk through small patches of snowy ground, but hiking boots are not the same as snow boots. Wearing thick and warm socks may help protect your feet from the cold if you do wear your waterproofed hiking boots in the snow.
Can you Go Hiking in Steel Toe Boots?
While you could go hiking in steel toe boots, it's not recommended. The boots are heavier than hiking boots and they are not as comfortable. Most hiking trails don't require the protection of steel toed boots. Go with the lighter hiking boots to avoid foot, ankle and leg fatigue instead.
Can you Go Hiking in Snow Boots?
Snowboots are made with insulation to keep your feet warm. Your feet can quickly overheat when hiking. They are not designed for hiking long distances or hill walking. The soles are usually more flexible which means you won't have as much foot and ankle support. In addition to this, they will wear out much quicker under the stress of hiking. Snow boots will not provide the foot and ankle comfort you get from hiking boots.
Is It Okay to Hike in Running Shoes?
You can hike in running shoes if they are well-fitting and offer good ankle support, but they will only work for so long. The soles will eventually compress. Running shoes do not usually offer the same degree of foot and ankle protection that you get with hiking boots. You will do okay on trails that are not challenging, but for more intense hiking trails or off trail hiking, your best bet is to go with hiking boots for maximum foot and ankle protection.
Our review of the top ten hiking boots for men and women, for under $100 offers you a range of choices. These are the products that are the most highly recommended by people who have used and rated them. Each offer a variety of different features, because not everyone has the same needs or preferences. We've selected the best within this price range.
This guide and review is meant to make it more convenient for you to find the right hiking boot, before you make your purchase. The tips on what to look for in the ideal boot give you the information that you need to find the best fit, features that are important to you and at a reasonable price.
Our intention is to help you save time, by grouping them all together in one convenient place.