When you think about camping, what image springs into your mind? Most likely a tent. When it comes to outdoor pursuits, there’s nothing more of an iconic duo than camping trips, a tent and a camping hammock.
|Lawson Hammock Blue Ridge Camping Hammock and Tent|
|Active Roots Double Camping Hammock with Tree Straps|
|Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock|
|Oak Creek Lost Valley Camping Hammock|
|Hennessy Hammock – Expedition Series|
However, over the years, things have changed.
Image from Amazon
While many tents are excellent on their own right, there are still many disadvantages like their weight, having to sleep on the ground, and they can be difficult to set up. That is why there’s an alternative way to camp that’s becoming a lot more popular with camping aficionados: the hammock.
One of the main advantages of using a camping hammock is that it offers better comfort than a tent. You can say goodbye to sleeping on the damp ground, rocks, mud, roots, and uneven surfaces. Hammocks also allow more versatility about where and how you can set up.
If you’ve come looking for the best hammock for your camping needs, you’ve come to the right place. For this top outdoor gear recommendation, we’ll list some of the best camping hammocks the market has to offer.
How We Chose Our Ratings
Image Source : pixabay
Outdoor hammocks are fairly popular nowadays which means that there’s a lot of options to choose from. This also makes the task of selecting the best hammock shelter a daunting task.
However, we did the hard part, so you don’t have to. We spent an ungodly amount of research and testing to ensure that our recommendations will serve you best on your outdoor pursuits. It’s important for us to be informative, accurate, and most of all, honest.
For our hammock selection, we took into account a number of important factors like weight, features, ease of setup, materials, comfort, and many others. We have also checked the reviews and feedback from verified buyers.
Let’s jump right to it!
5 Best Camping Hammock Brands
Here are the top-rated hammocks that will allow you to sleep under the stars along with other benefits that come with this shelter type.
1. Lawson Hammock Blue Ridge Camping Hammock and Tent
Lawson Hammock Blue Ridge Camping Hammock and Tent (Rainfly and Bug Net Included)
- RATED #1: By Backpacker, Outside and American Survival Guide. Winner of the prestigious Gear Of The Year Award.
- HAMMOCK AND A TENT IN ONE: Patented design with a unique arch pole/spreader bar system that allows for use suspended between two objects/trees as a hammock
- USE ANYWHERE: Most versatile tent hammock in the world. Perfect for all types of camping; car camping, backpacking, bike camping, Scouting, kayak/canoe camping
- HAMMOCKING COMFORT REDESIGNED: Design keeps hammock bed flatter, eliminating much of the “cocoon/banana” effect created by other hammocks.
- EASY SETUP, LIGHT WEIGHT, WATERPROOF & BUG-FREE: Has detachable/waterproof rainfly, bug netting (straps sold separately/works w/all types of straps or webbing/rope). Packs to 22”x6”, 4.25lbs w/poles
- Total weight: 4.25 lbs. (including poles, rain fly and stuff sack)
- Weight limit: 275 lbs.
- Packing size: 22 x 6 inches
- Notable features: Easy setup, made of ripstop-nylon and poly pack cloth, waterproof nylon border, waterproof ripstop-nylon rain fly, strong spreader bars
The Lawson Hammock Blue Ridge Camping Hammock and Tent is your go-to outdoor shelter if you’re looking to have the best of both worlds of a hammock and a tent. However, this hammock tent is not exactly cheap. Therefore, if you have a limited budget, you might want to keep scrolling down.
This monster camping hammock is designed to be suspended, but it won’t have you sinking deep into a cocoon which is a common design for most hammocks. Basically, this product is a hybrid of a tent and hammock with none of the drawbacks.
With a 90-inch interior length and a 42-inch interior width, the space inside this hammock tent is incredible. The stability, while you’re lying down, needs to be experienced to be believed.If you are like me who likes lying flat on my back, you will need the hammock tightly pulled between the trees. Therefore, be sure to pack some extra guy lines.
Our Rating: 4.5/5
2. Active Roots Camping Hammock
Active Roots Double Camping Hammock with Tree Straps
- AS DURABLE AS THEY COME – our double camping hammock supports up to 500 pounds, meaning you can spaciously lounge alone, with that special someone, or with dozens of puppies. Think about it: you, puppies, a hammock. Life doesn’t get any better.
- SMALL, LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – our portable hammock folds into an attached sack that weighs less than 2 pounds in total. The full setup will take you less than three minutes, even if you struggle with handy things like setting up Ikea furniture (don’t worry, this is easier and MUCH more enjoyable..)
- HIGHEST QUALITY GEAR – our camping hammocks come with the best accessories, including the highest quality carabiners and hammock tree straps. We’re giving you the Ferrari of hammock equipment. Trust us, it makes a difference.
- Total weight: 2.3 lbs
- Weight limit: 507 lbs
- Packing size: –
- Notable features: Supports up to 500 lbs, highest quality carabiners and hammock tree straps, two-person capacity, lifetime guarantee
The Active Roots Camping Hammock is a budget-friendlyhammock, but do not get us wrong because this product offers incredible value.
This hammock is a parachute type and can accommodate up to 500 pounds weight, easily making it into a 2-person shelter. Many hammocks claim that it can accommodate two persons, but it really is not the case unless you enjoy sleeping uncomfortably with another person.The Active Roots hammock makes good on that promise.
The hammock comes with a full suspension system, and it’s a breeze to set up and take down. In my experience, I can set up the whole thing in more or less three minutes. This hammock isalso a backpacker’s dream as the whole package only weighs less than 2 pounds including the stuff sack.
Best of all, this outdoor hammock is dirt cheap. It’s a great option for casual camping, but with a mosquito net and a rainfly, you can certainly use it for a more adventurous hike.
Our Rating: 5/5
3. Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock
WINNER OUTFITTERS Double Camping Hammock
- Comfortably Supporting Up To 500 lbs: This double hammock fits 2 persons, You can lay down with your friend or loved one and you will still have plenty of room. Because of the new 210T nylon parachute fabric, the BACKPACKING hammocks provide relaxing support up to 500 lbs
- Super Lightweight And Easy Setup: The backpacking hammock can be used for camping, travel, beach, yard. You will have everything you need for quick and easy hanging setup. It will take less than 3 minutes to hang your camping hammock on a tree or nearby objects using the ropes, strips and carabiners
- Great Gift: Adults, kids, people who travel, beach visitors, tent campers and fellow Winner – all say they LOVE IT! A great gift for traveling, camping, backpacking, or just hanging it and relaxing on it in the patio
- Total weight: 1.5 lbs
- Weight limit: 500 lbs
- Packing size: –
- Notable features: Double hammock, tree-friendly straps, flat and smooth carabiners, 210T parachute nylon material, mildew-resistant nylon cloth
The Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock is one of the top sellers in Amazon, so we had to give it a look. And boy, we were not disappointed!
This hammock just nails it in terms of durability and portability. The parachute nylon material does a great job of keeping things lightweight, but it makes the hammock feel soft and comfortable. The quality of the fabric is also great as I didn’t have any problem with tearing or snagging.
With the 500 lbs capacity, it should have no problem accommodating two adults. However, I don’t recommend using this as a double hammock since it can get a bit cramped inside. As a solo hammock, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better option.
Setting up the whole thing is also painless. I can set it up in under a minute. This makes the hammock a great option for casual or beginner campers. This is also the cheapest hammock in this list, so be sure to check this one out if you’re on a budget.
Our Rating: 4.5/5
4. Oak Creek Lost Valley Camping Hammock
Lost Valley Camping Hammock
- Camping Hammock Bundle Includes Single Hammock, Rain fly, Mosquito Net, 2 Tree straps, 2 12kN Aluminum Carabiners, 2 Stakes, and 2 Guy Lines
- Ultra Strong, Tear Resistant Parachute Nylon Material With Reinforced Stitching and Knotting That Holds Up To 350 lbs
- Hammock Includes an Accessory Pouch on the Inside for Your Smart Phone
- All Components fit into a Drawstring Bag and Weigh Less Than 4 Pounds
- Hammock Set is Portable, Lightweight, and Sets Up In 3 Minutes
- Total weight: 3.3 lbs
- Weight limit: 350 lbs
- Packing size: –
- Notable features: Includes mosquito net, rain fly, tree straps, and a compression sack, tear resistant parachute nylon material, reinforced stitching and knotting
If you need a mid-range hammock, the Lost Valley Camping Hammock is definitely worth the look.
The best part about this hammock is that it includes everything you need in a single package. It comes with a mosquito net, rain fly, tree straps, and compression sack. With a mosquito net, you can ward off those annoying bugs and insects that will keep you from having a good night’s sleep. It has added ventilation which helps in facilitating airflow and adds to overall comfort.
The hammock can handle up to 350 pounds, which means that it can accommodate two persons in it. It’s a fairly large hammock, but it’s not as spacious as the other hammocks featured here. When it rains, you’ll be pleased to know that the included rain fly does a great job of keeping you nice and dry.
Like with most camping hammocks, the Lost Valley is super easy to set up. It’s made of nylon with reinforced stitching, making the hammock durable. It’s not as versatile as other hammocks in this list, but it gets the job done well.
Our Rating: 4/5
5. Hennessy Hammock Expedition
Hennessy Hammock – Expedition Series
- EXPEDITION CLASSIC This is the Hennessy that started the hammock camping revolution, our most popular bottom entry camping hammock designed for anyone up to 6ft and 250lbs (183cm /114kg); Snaps closed under the weight of your body and seals with velcro.
- COMPLETE system includes: tightly woven 70d high density nylon bottom; 30D no-see-um mosquito mesh; Gear loft slides on ridgeline; 70d polyester ripstop rain tarp; 1500lb (680kg) test polyester ropes; Complimentary webbing straps included.
- DESIGN: This legendary camping shelter is uncompromising in materials and workmanship. There are countless tiny improvements that only 40 years of effort could achieve but you can feel as soon as you stretch out in this hammock and close your eyes.
- Total weight: 2 lbs
- Weight limit: 250 lbs
- Packing size: 4 x 7 x 9 inches
- Notable features: 70d high-density nylon bottom, gear loft slides on the ridgeline, 30D no-see-um mosquito mesh, 70d polyester ripstop rain tarp, high-quality support ropes, side zipper entry
The Hennessy Hammock Expedition is far from being cheap. However, it’s certainly one of the most complete hammock shelters that you can find in the market.
It’s referred to as “the ultimate, all-in-one hammock” and for good reason. The system is complete with mosquito mesh, ridgeline, rain tarp, ropes, webbing straps, guy lines, steel carabiners, and a stuff sack. It has a carrying capacity of 250 lbs which means that it’s strictly a one-person hammock.
One thing I love about this hammock is its patented asymmetrical shape. Unlike most hammocks, it doesn’t create the deep cocoon shape when you are sleeping in it. Setting up your bedding is about as easy as it gets. The support ropes are also very tree-friendly which definitely helps in achieving the “Leave No Trace” ideology.
This is an all-purpose hammock through and through. It’s great for camping, backpacking, kayaking, and other pleasurable outdoor pursuits. I’ve even used it just to chill in my backyard.
Our Rating: 4.5/5
Factors to Consider WhenChoosing a Camping Hammock
Image from Amazon
If for some reason that you didn’t find a suitable hammock for your needs, you can always shop for an outdoor shelter on your own. Here are the features that you should keep an eye on.
In general, camping hammocks are a lot lighter than the traditional tent. If you want a lightweight shelter, your go-to should be a hammock. However, there are many hikers and backpackers that like to keep down the weight to a minimum.
The weight of the hammock will depend on the fabric and accessories included. The standard hammock without the included accessories should weigh no more than 3 pounds. However, for something like a jungle hammock that includes accessories such as a mosquito mesh, tarp, and more, expect it to weigh more.
Basically, the longer and wider the hammock, the more comfortable it is. Look into the internal width and length of the hammock and take into consideration how tall you are. Make sure that you leave a little extra on either end of the hammock.
It’s highly recommended that you opt for a double capacity hammock even if you’re the only person who will be sleeping in it. It is just more comfortable that way.
Of course, you should get a hammock that will effectively accommodate your weight. Overloading your hammock is a good way to greatly reduce its overall lifespan. Before you invite another person into your hammock for snuggles, take note of its maximum carrying capacity.
If you want a hammock that will last you for a long while, opt for the one that’s made from high-quality materials. You don’t really want to fall through it while sleeping, especially when you’re suspended high off the ground.
Sleep Under the Stars
Image from Amazon
That wraps up our buyer’s guide on the best camping hammock that you can get in the market.
If you are still using the traditional tent while camping and you’re getting tired of it, perhaps a change in shelter type is in order. Camping with a hammock is a great way to spend your time outdoors. There are a few things that are better than sleeping under the stars.
Hopefully, this guide has helped you find a hammock that you can use for your next outdoor adventure. If you have any questions about hammocks or camping in general, feel free to let us know via the comment section below.
Leave a Reply